Crime Prevention is the anticipation of a crime risk and the initiation of an action to reduce it. In order for a crime to occur the criminal must have the ability, desire, and opportunity to commit the crime. There is very little you can do about the
ability or desire of a criminal to commit a crime but we can work to eliminate the opportunity.
- Crime Prevention is one of the most important tools in fighting crime.
- Crime prevention is the whole community’s responsibility, not just the police.
- Crime Prevention creates a safer and more secure community by developing partnerships between the community and police.
- Crime Prevention takes commitment.
We encourage you to take an active role in making your community safe by familiarizing yourself with some basic crime prevention tips to help minimize your chances of becoming a victim. Be aware of your surroundings and vigilant about your personal safety and security. Remember, it only takes a moment for a dishonest person to seize an opportunity presented to him or her.
How can you help?
- Be alert
- Get to know your neighbors
- Get to know police officers in your area
- Get involved in the Neighborhood Watch Program
- Report suspicious activity – call 911
- Be a good witness – write down suspect and vehicle descriptions
For report non-emergency incidents, call 543-4911. For emergencies, please call 911.